Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A VISIT HOME

In November, I took a trip "home" to Louisiana to see my family. More than a quick trip, I stayed almost 2 weeks. Spent some really good time with my 2 sisters and their families. You see, right now, my brother-in-law is fighting a brain tumor. And there's no other way to say that cancer is an ugly word. So you fight it, deal with it and just keep living your life and that's what they are doing. We laughed, we cried. We listened to each other a little more attentively than times past.

My brother-in-law was raised on a farm in northern Louisiana. As an adult, he worked for New York Life for almost 40 years before the cancer made him go on disability last year. He is one of the most stand-up men I have ever met. Straight shooter through and through.

He recently had surgery to 'debulk' the tumor but they couldn't get all of it because it has 'fingers'. Now he'll spend some time at a rehab facility. And a new treatment is supposed to cut off blood flow to the remainder of the tumor.

Strong will, fighter that he is, it does become very tiresome for my sister. But she's been there with him all along. One night while I was staying at their house, I heard them laughing and teasing like to youngsters in love... made me smile... seeing how they still love each other like crazy almost 40 years later. Ain't love grand?

No comments: